Monday, August 16, 2010

Metal Madness Monday Presents: Lacuna Coil


I love music. I love all sorts and types of music, so long as talent is involved, and I think that any genre can exhibit talent. That said, I suppose the vast majority of this blog is probably going to end up about music of the alternative/indie/punk persuasion, since I like the widest variety in those categories, and thus have far more to discuss with all y'all. Still, I'm always a bit sad that most music blogs that focus on what's hip with a certain crowd often 1) completely dirsregard that there can be good music outside of the aforementioned genres and 2) that music exists outside of North America, Britain, and Australia. I hope to remedy the situation by introducing you to bands that fall outside of this spectrum, that you may like, but would never have found without sifting through a vast sludge of less-talented and often downright grating mainstream idiots.

And so, I propose that every Monday will be devoted to news of metal. Good metal. Like the first band I want to introduce to you: Lacuna Coil.

Lacuna Coil hails from Milan, Italy, and has the confusing distinction of being compared to Evanescence, because Evanescence is apparently the only female-fronted metal-ish band people know. In all actuality, this comparison makes no sense. Coil is one of the most mesmerizing bands I've heard, very hypnotic - Cristina Scabbia's deeper vocals resound through any song, and the bassline tends to put me in a near-trance. The band has gotten heavier over the years, but they still play a wicked acoustic set, as you can see:



Admittedly, I'm not the hugest fan of Andrea Ferro's vocals, but I can take 'em, because the band as a whole is still bloody enjoyable to listen to, and they're critical to your music knowledge as one of the bands that helped pioneer and popularize the goth metal scene. (Learn your goth history, kids, we're already far behind the Europeans in that respect.)

Incidentally, I've missed these guys twice in concert. Third time's the charm, right?

I bestow upon thee - SAMPLINGS!

Lacuna Coil - Cold Heritage [mp3]
Lacuna Coil - Enjoy The Silence (Depeche Mode Cover) [mp3]

No comments:

Post a Comment